Thread: inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L

1. Back To Top | #1

inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L

Hello,

The lens belongs to a forum colleague that asked me to take a look because the Canon service(and several others) did not want to disassemble the lens for inspection because of the fact that it is old and maybe because it had the monture changed.
    Problem of the lens was that it had a blockage in the aperture and regardless of what the setting was the aperture remained blocked at a setting that allowed much less light than 1.2 would.
    Since the initial ideea of the purchase was to use 1.2, 1.4 and such the lens was not usable anymore.

Mentions:
    This is not a complete tutorial, it only offers you the basic info to disassemble your lens.
    Take in consideration that the lens had it's monture changed and that this tutorial is not 100% accurate for your lens.
    Don't make me responsible for your any problems that may arise from the action of opening your lens.
    This tutorial only shows how to get inside the lens from the monture side, not the front.

let's play.
    step1. remove the screws from the mount ring( in this case there were 3 but 1 was loose because the metal structure underneath was broken).
    step2. remove the 5 big chrome screws in order to later remove the metal ring structure.
    step3. remove the 2 small black screws that hold in place the green curved plastic feedback aperture steps.
    this is done to remove the 6th and final screw of the metal ring structure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-step1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-mount.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-step2.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-step3.1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-step3.2.jpg  
    Last edited by Mir; 16-04-2012 at 00:02.
    nu mi-e frica, nu mi-e frica... de bau-bau !!

2. Back To Top | #2
    the aperture setting appears to be done by the silver metal ring that has an extension that goes deep inside the lens to drive the aperture change.
    first 2 pics shows the way the aperture changes when i toy with the ring.
    problem is that the ring is not attached to anything... it's just floating around. it's a reminiscence of the mount change that someone has done.

step4. remove the 6th screw and then remove the metal ring.
    step5. the next 4 screws that are now visible are not to be removed. they are there to hold the 2 long metal guides for the interior mobile part of the lens. they should remain there. do not unscrew them.
    step6. gently slide the rubber ring that is used to drive the focus change.
    after removal, a plastic foil is visible. remove it to reveal 3 screws that hold in place the plastic ring that drives the focus change.
    after removal of the screws slide the plastic ring out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-aperture_drive1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-aperture_drive2..jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-no-remove.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-side1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-side3.jpg  
    Last edited by faraonu; 16-04-2012 at 00:00.

3. Back To Top | #3
    first 2 pics show the focusing ring removed.

step7. take a note/picture to remember the current setup because you will have to restore the setting before you can assemble the lens and restore functions.
    after you make a lot of pics(one at one end, then rotate to the other end and make another pic, etc.) remove the 3 screws to release the limit on rotation.
    now you can rotate the central metal component and the 2 ends will put more and more distance between them and finally the monture side will be loose and come out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focusring1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focusring2.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-naked_focus.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-inside1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-inside2.jpg  

4. Back To Top | #4
    After opening I could see the way that the aperture change should be done and realized the ring i played with earlier is something i did not need inside the lens in this particular case.

the aperture is controlled by a leaver that is attached to a ring circling back and forward over a plastic knob. when the plastic piece/knob is over the narrow/thinner metal part -> the aperture is minimum.
    the part of the ring where there is a ramp model... (when in reach of the knob)increases the aperture towards the maximum(when it forces the plastic part out of the way).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focus_drive5.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focus_drive4.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focus_drive3.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focus_drive2.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-focus_drive1.jpg  
    Last edited by faraonu; 15-04-2012 at 23:59.

5. Back To Top | #5
    first pic shows the metal stopper for the aperture movement since the metal fin visible in the vicinity of the stopper moves in sync with the aperture.

the second picture shows the useless part(from my point of view).
    it had 2 anchor point for screws but they were not attached to anything. as a result i removed it from the lens.

the last 3 pics show the adapter made by the guy that performed the conversion of the mount.
    the plastic piece can drive the aperture at half of the focus setting(because the metal goes through the U shaped part of the claw) but for the other field of movement the plastic claw is unable to drive the aperture change and it looses track.

the component i removed somehow delivered the aperture change for some time but since i found it floating around I took the liberty of removing it.

I had to manufacture an additional component to harden the plastic claw and also provide a way to enclose the metal drive for the aperture so it won't slip away again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-stopper.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-useless.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-aperture_adaptor1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-aperture_adapter2.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-aperture_adapter3.jpg  
    Last edited by faraonu; 15-04-2012 at 23:57.

6. Back To Top | #6
    the component i fabricated can be seen in the following pics.

after i checked that it works OK i added some superglue on the side to assure it won't come off inside the lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-metal0.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-metal1.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-metal2.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-metal3.jpg   inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-metal4.jpg  
    Last edited by faraonu; 15-04-2012 at 23:56.

7. Back To Top | #7
    unfortunately the fun wasn't over because I had to make a 4th hole on the mount to assure the 3rd screw(the one that i talked about in the first post) won't fail and cause the mount to break away from the lens.

after the additional drill job has been performed i cleaned everything and mounted it back together.
    now the pics i made really helped to put it together since i had no clear instruction for the job.
    the difficult part was to put the metal cylinder and the 2 ends of the lens together. they can fit in a lot of ways but only one is the correct one.

don't forget to make a lot of pics along the way.

over and out.
    hope it helps
    Last edited by Mir; 16-04-2012 at 00:02.

8. Back To Top | #8
    and a final picture to show the last drill point. mine is the ugly one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside a Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L-85mm-007.jpg  

9. Back To Top | #9
    hai ca e de bine...
    daca dai o cautare dupa "Canon FD 85mm 1:1.2 L" in gugle, thread-ul asta vad ca e second hit. dunno how the fuck this happened dar ma bucur.
    daca as fi gasit si eu ceva similar inainte sa il deschid mai salvam o ora sau 2 din timpul de reparatie.

daca va mai bagati dejtele prin obiective puneti si voi niscaiva poze cu demontarea ca poate-i ajuta si pe altii.
    mersi
    Last edited by faraonu; 19-04-2012 at 01:18.

10. Back To Top | #10
    pai pentru ca este foarte vizitat CG-ul

felicitari ! treaba foarte buna !
    °·.M·I·R.·° ¬ Mª©hinæ IntendeÐ fºr ®epair¿ng

11. Back To Top | #11
    Faraonule, esti mare Multumesc inca o data!

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 105mm f/2.8 Macro | SB-900

Canon 5D Mark 2 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8